Monday, February 15, 2010

Walk Two Moons Booktalk

My parents were apparently very uncreative when I was born. They chose to name me Sarah. I can’t stand being called Sarah, because there is always inevitably another Sarah around. Someone calls out, “Sarah,” and I turn around only to discover that they are talking to a different Sarah. So, I start ignoring people when they call out my name, assuming that they are talking to someone else, and then they are really calling for me and get mad because I am being rude by not answering. I just can’t win.

Salamanca Tree Hiddle doesn’t have that problem. No one has her same name. And no one has quite the same adventures as she does. Sal has to move to a new neighborhood after her mother leaves her and her father. They move to Euclid Ohio, where she doesn’t even feel connected to her father anymore because he spends all his time with a lady with spooky red hair, named Mrs. Cadaver?

Sal finds a friend named Phoebe, but things start to get real strange for Phoebe and Sal when they see a lunatic on the street, and then they think the lunatic must be the one leaving random notes on Phoebe’s porch. Notes like “You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair,” or “In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?” What do these messages mean and why is Phoebe’s mother missing. What is going on? Is Mrs. Cadaver responsible? Who is the lunatic? Salamanca does a lot of discovering about others while she discovers a lot about herself.


Title: Walk Two Moons

Author: Sharon Creech

Publication Information: Scholastic Inc., 1994

Age Group: 4th Grade and Up

Topics: Self-Identity, Don’t Judge Others

No comments:

Post a Comment